I started this blog so my daughters could find all of our family favourite recipes in one place. It has actually grown into more than just the family favourites but also other recipes we've tried out in our kitchen. I don't like to fill up the post with alot of chatter. Sometimes there's a little story to tell, but usually I like to get right to the point. So this is for them, but hope you find some recipes that you like as well. I'll be sharing a lot of recipes, and along the way you'll find some crafty things and maybe some helpful hints too! Welcome!



Thursday, July 9, 2020

Beaded Mason Jar Solar Light

Here's the how-to on a simple DIY garden art project. No tools required!
All you need is a Mason jar, a solar light that fits inside it, some glass beads (dollar store gems) and a tube of clear marine silicone. It's waterproof and weatherproof. I had first tried using a glue gun for the job. It only took 20 minutes start to finish but later in the day the beads started sliding off the jar. 😡 
So stick with marine silicone!!

This is what my little solar light used to look like ↓ Pretty basic.
I only had these few glass beads leftover from something I made years ago. I lined them up, then rolled the jar alongside to ensure I had enough for the job.
Just a dab of silicone and place the bead. 

Start with one line and let if set about 20-30 minutes. I used a shoe on each side of the jar to keep it from rolling.

Once that row set I stuck 3 rows at a time on letting each section set before moving on. A little time consuming but you can go away and do something else while it dries.
And all finished!
If I had more glass beads I could've probably made another row, but I'm happy with how this looks.

Let the silicone completely dry and cure indoors for at least 12 hours before putting it outside.
Then simply turn the jar over on top of the solar light!
The little solar panel on the top of the lamp is not hindered by beads or silicone.



I might have to go buy more glass beads for my other lamps!


2 comments:

  1. Love the makeshift night light ...it looks like an expensive light when it is lit up for the night. Great idea! I will have to make some of these for sure!

    ReplyDelete