I started this blog so my daughters could find all of our family favourite recipes in one place. It has actually grown into more than just the family favourites but also other recipes we've tried out in our kitchen. I don't like to fill up the post with alot of chatter. Sometimes there's a little story to tell, but usually I like to get right to the point. So this is for them, but hope you find some recipes that you like as well. I'll be sharing a lot of recipes, and along the way you'll find some crafty things and maybe some helpful hints too! Welcome!



Monday, May 4, 2020

Sourdough Discard Brownies

Still in the process of trying to create a sourdough starter, which I'm not sure I will succeed at, but have found some great uses for the sourdough discard that is a byproduct of the starter creating process.  
Ingredients:
5 oz dark chocolate baking squares
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup vegetable oil
3 eggs
1/2 tsp salt
2/3 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 tbsps water
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1/2 cup sourdough discard
1/2 cup flour (optional)

The first time I made these brownies I didn't add any flour and they turned out to be great ooey gooey brownies! The next time I added the 1/2 cup flour and they were more dense. So you decide what kind of brownies you are craving and go for it! The images in the recipe here are from the no-flour version except for the last two at the end of the post which are of the flour added ones.

Break the dark chocolate squares into a saucepan and add the butter and oil. Heat on medium until the chocolate is almost melted then remove from heat, stir and set aside.
In a mixer bowl beat eggs, salt, sugar and brown sugar together until frothy. Then add the water and vanilla. Mix the cocoa powder (and flour if using) into the egg mixture and then the sourdough discard. And finally add the melted chocolate mixture from the saucepan to the bowl. Blend well.
Pour into a lined (with some overhang) 9 X 9" baking pan and bake at 375°F for 30-35 minutes.
Cool 20-30 minutes before lifting out of the pan and cutting into 16 squares.
No need for icing sugar dusting or frosting with these ones. They're perfect just the way they are!


But if you choose to make the brownies with the added flour this is how they turned out. I found that these ones were better off frosted. 
You can also check out these Sourdough Brownies with Orange:

Find more Hot and Cold Running Mom on Pinterest

7 comments:

  1. Do you didn't say when to add the flour. I believe I have made these before. Like it better with flour. More cake like brownies. They are delicious. And yes please post more recipes with starter. It urkes me to read through a recipe and then find i need to add yeast ??? Wth is that not the point of keeping a starter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have since corrected the post as to when to add the flour. Glad you enjoyed the brownies! Unfortunately I won't have any more starter recipes as I gave up on sourdough.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish you had a way to print your recipes. I don't use electronics in the kitchen, so I can't use your recipe. :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm still learning from you, but I'm trying to achieve my goals. I certainly enjoy reading all that is posted on your blog.Keep the information coming. I loved it!
    pinata cake Singapore

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read blog thoroughly; it’s quite informative and well written post. You covered the topic very well. Thanks for sharing.
    pinata smash cake Singapore

    ReplyDelete