I started this blog so my daughters could find all of our family favourite recipes in one place. It has actually grown into more than just the family favourites but also other recipes we've tried out in our kitchen. I don't like to fill up the post with alot of chatter. Sometimes there's a little story to tell, but usually I like to get right to the point. So this is for them, but hope you find some recipes that you like as well. I'll be sharing a lot of recipes, and along the way you'll find some crafty things and maybe some helpful hints too! Welcome!



Friday, April 3, 2020

Egg Roll Wrappers from Scratch

Homemade egg roll wrappers ... that wasn't my plan, but circumstances made me try them and, hey they're pretty easy to make!

I had a package of egg roll wrappers in the freezer that I defrosted in the fridge overnight. I made my egg roll filling and was ready to go. Opened the package and found half the wrappers soggy and the rest crumbly dry! Lesson: don't keep egg roll wrappers in the freezer for (?) years !!!

I didn't want to go out to the store just for wrappers so...
Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups flour
2 eggs
3 tbsps cold water
1 tsp salt

Combine the flour and salt, then make a well in the center and add eggs and water. With a fork begin incorporating the flour into the eggs and water. It'll be raggy at first but it will start to come together. Then on a floured work surface knead a few minutes until smooth. Cover with a dish towel for 15 minutes.

Then take a piece, leave the rest covered, and start to roll out.
Roll the dough as thin as you can get it. Then cut into squares. I made mini egg rolls so these were 3 1/2" squares. Regular egg rolls are about 8" square. If you want the bigger egg rolls you probably need to double this recipe.
Dust each square with cornstarch as you stack them.
And keep the stack covered with a dish towel while you fill your rolls. See links at end of this post for egg roll fillings.
Keep the ones that are wrapped covered as well. Once they are all rolled up they can be fried right away or put in an airtight container for a few hours in the fridge.
And here they are fried up and yummy!
Makes 14 two-bite egg rolls.
Here are the egg roll recipe links:

https://hotandcoldrunningmom.blogspot.com/2020/01/vegetable-eggrolls.html

https://hotandcoldrunningmom.blogspot.com/2017/10/homemade-turkey-egg-rolls.html

2 comments:

  1. Good question. I haven't tried them air fried but I suspect they would work at probably 390°F for about 10 minutes, flipped halfway through.

    ReplyDelete