I started this blog so my daughters could find all of our family favourite recipes in one place. It has actually grown into more than just the family favourites but also other recipes we've tried out in our kitchen. I don't like to fill up the post with alot of chatter. Sometimes there's a little story to tell, but usually I like to get right to the point. So this is for them, but hope you find some recipes that you like as well. I'll be sharing a lot of recipes, and along the way you'll find some crafty things and maybe some helpful hints too! Welcome!



Monday, November 11, 2019

Green Tomato Bread and Butter Pickles

This is the last green tomato recipe this year, I swear.
But I saved the best for last!

Ingredients:
2  1/2 lbs green tomatoes, sliced 1/4" 
1 medium onion, sliced 1/4"
1 small red pepper, diced
3 tbsps pickling salt
1  1/2 cups vinegar
1 cup sugar
1/2 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp celery seed
2 tsp pickling spice

I halved the tomatoes, then cut into 1/4" slices, then cut those slices in half again to get 1/4" quarter slices of tomato. Toss them with the onions, peppers and pickling salt.

Refrigerate overnight.



The next day drain and only lightly rinse.
In a large pot, combine vinegar, sugar, turmeric, celery seed and pickling spice. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Add the veggies and return to boil, then simmer 5 minutes. Remove from heat.


Pack the pickles into sterilized jars and fill with the liquid.
Seal with sterilized lids and process in a hot water bath for 10 minutes.



Wait 2 weeks before eating. (I could only wait 1 week before trying them and they're great!)



Small batch...just these 2 jars. Next year I plan on making more!

Adapted from: www.thespruceeats.com/sweet-and-tangy-green-tomato-pickles

2 comments:

  1. I want to try this weekend as I have several types and colors of cherry tomatoes. They'll be pretty in the jars! Can I post a picture here??! Thanks for sharing this. My mom made bread and butter pickles and I miss her so much. But I have no patience for that. This looks easier and I can make a small batch!! 😍

    ReplyDelete