I started this blog so my daughters could find all of our family favourite recipes in one place. It has actually grown into more than just the family favourites but also other recipes we've tried out in our kitchen. I don't like to fill up the post with alot of chatter. Sometimes there's a little story to tell, but usually I like to get right to the point. So this is for them, but hope you find some recipes that you like as well. I'll be sharing a lot of recipes, and along the way you'll find some crafty things and maybe some helpful hints too! Welcome!



Tuesday, February 5, 2019

Beef Chop Suey

Happy Chinese New Year!



Ingredients:

1 lb ground beef (or mixture of beef, veal and pork)
1 or 2 onions, chopped or sliced
2 or 3 celery stalks, sliced
1 carrot, shredded
1 red pepper, diced
1 tsp fresh grated ginger
2 garlic cloves, minced
salt and pepper to taste
370 g package bean sprouts
1 cup chicken broth
1/4 cup soya sauce
2 tbsps cornstarch

In a large wok or frying pan begin by browning the meat. Once there is no longer any pink add the onions, celery, carrots and red pepper. Cook until vegetables are just slightly golden, about 4-5 minutes. 



Add the ginger, garlic, bean sprouts, salt and pepper.

Combine the broth, soya sauce and cornstarch. Push the meat and veg to the outside of the pan and whisk the broth mixture into a center well in the pan. Stir together.


Cook on medium heat until sauce slightly thickens.


Serves 4-6







2 comments:

  1. Where are the mushrooms? I have been making this recipe for years and over the years I tried different ingredients to give it more taste and finally decided on fresh mushrooms cut into big pieces, umm, so good that if I didn't have them in the house, I would either go out to get some or go without the chopsuey. So delicious, but use fresh ones, there is a big difference in the taste I found. Just my opinion for what it is worth.

    ReplyDelete