I started this blog so my daughters could find all of our family favourite recipes in one place. It has actually grown into more than just the family favourites but also other recipes we've tried out in our kitchen. I don't like to fill up the post with alot of chatter. Sometimes there's a little story to tell, but usually I like to get right to the point. So this is for them, but hope you find some recipes that you like as well. I'll be sharing a lot of recipes, and along the way you'll find some crafty things and maybe some helpful hints too! Welcome!



Monday, June 11, 2018

Strawberry BBQ Sauce

Strawberries aren't just for shortcake!



Ingredients:
2 cups sliced strawberries
1/4 cup salsa
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 garlic clove
1 tbsp maple syrup (or your favourite pancake syrup)
1 tbsp brown sugar
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cayenne
1/4 tsp smoked paprika



Blend everything together in a food processor until smooth. I had a mild salsa and the amount of cayenne, smoked paprika and chili powder I used gave me just a nice oh-that's-a-little-spicy kick. Depending on the heat of your salsa and your preference adjust these accordingly.



Once smooth transfer sauce to a saucepan. Bring to a boil, then simmer on low to medium-low until the mixture is reduced by half. Should take about 30 minutes.

While it simmers, sterilize jars by pouring boiling water into them (Mom always put a piece of cutlery in each so that's what I do) and pour boiling water over the lids too. Turned out I only needed 2 of these jars.



Pour hot sauce into the sterilized jars and place the lids on.
Process by placing jars in pot and cover with water. Bring water to a boil, time 10 minutes, then remove to the counter. After 24 hours if lids have not popped down to seal then store jars in refrigerator, otherwise they should be good on the shelf until opened.



First taste was on my burger, 



but can't wait to try it on chicken and ribs!



If you're interested in homemade salsa here's the recipe I use:

http://hotandcoldrunningmom.blogspot.com/2013/09/cooked-tomato-salsa.html


No comments:

Post a Comment