I started this blog so my daughters could find all of our family favourite recipes in one place. It has actually grown into more than just the family favourites but also other recipes we've tried out in our kitchen. I don't like to fill up the post with alot of chatter. Sometimes there's a little story to tell, but usually I like to get right to the point. So this is for them, but hope you find some recipes that you like as well. I'll be sharing a lot of recipes, and along the way you'll find some crafty things and maybe some helpful hints too! Welcome!



Monday, June 11, 2018

Washable Dog Bed Couch Protector

Yes, I admit it. Karma is spoiled. She's a princess.

Having been rescued from an unhappy life we figure she deserves to be pampered. But that doesn't mean we don't want to keep our stuff looking good. 

So here's a little something I made to protect furniture while making your pet comfortable. And it's washable!

What I used:
1 flat sheet (I used queen but twin would work)
1 or 2 pillowcases
2 old pillows
bias tape, ribbon, shoe or boot laces

Like most of my sewing posts this is not a pattern but merely my how-I-did-it.

I took my old pillow and cut right through it lengthwise.



Then I sewed the case back up along the long side making 2 bolsters. I cut a pillow case in half and sewed the long side up on each half as well, leaving the end opened. I stuffed the pillows into the cases and tied the ends with black boot laces. These will be the "arms" of the bed.



Next I decided how wide I wanted the bed. I think I ended up folding the sheet in three lengthwise to cover the width of one cushion on our couch. I made a few seams up and down this piece through the 3 thicknesses to keep them in place.



You can use a second pillowcase for the back bolster but I used the excess length of the sheet that you see here on the back of the couch.  Again I wanted to be able to remove the pillow so after cutting the second pillow to the size I wanted I sewed a case for it. But this time I sewed a second case so that one could go into the other folding the end inside.



Starting to take shape...



I sewed black bias tape on the corners to act as ties. As you can see below the tie on the left side of the back case is not on the end because that part will be tucked into itself. I also sewed a piece of black ribbon across the front for no reason at all : )



Then each cushion got sewn to the edge of the base.

And here it is with the pillows in and the ties fastened.



I hope this made some kind of sense. And doesn't Karma have an I'm-done-modelling-for-you kind of look! 





No comments:

Post a Comment