I started this blog so my daughters could find all of our family favourite recipes in one place. It has actually grown into more than just the family favourites but also other recipes we've tried out in our kitchen. I don't like to fill up the post with alot of chatter. Sometimes there's a little story to tell, but usually I like to get right to the point. So this is for them, but hope you find some recipes that you like as well. I'll be sharing a lot of recipes, and along the way you'll find some crafty things and maybe some helpful hints too! Welcome!



Wednesday, February 28, 2018

Shower Curtain Hooks that don't stay on the rod

Do your shower curtain hooks come off the rod when you pull the curtain over?



Once we hung our new shower curtain with coordinating hooks in our new bathroom it became apparent that even though we loved the look of the hooks they were going to be a problem. They would either cross over each other or jump off the rod all together because the back end of the hook was too shallow.

I thought if I could find a long bead I could just glue it onto the end. It had to fit on the hook, be long enough to extend the hook, fit through the eyelet/gromets of the curtain and fit over the rod once on the hook. Easy right? I went to every craft store with no luck.

But at one little bead shop the owner told me about Fimo. She calls it adult playdoh! I could make my own beads! What a life saver!



It was easy to find and comes in many colours. I chose a neutral beige.

I needed 12 beads so I divided the block in equal pieces.



Taking one piece I rolled it in my hands a few minutes to become pliable then formed an oblong then cut it opened, but not through, with a knife.



I laid a wooden skewer coated in cornstarch in the opening then rolled the bead back into a long shape. Because I wasn't actually going to be using this as a bead I kept the bottom closed.  If I were more artistic I could've made these look like long shells, but I settled for a very simple pattern of knife marks. Also Fimo can be coloured and painted but I was not comfortable enough to try that. I double checked to make sure the shape still fit the grommet etc that I listed above when I was first looking for beads.

Once rolled I slid the beads off the skewer onto an aluminum pan and baked them for 1 hour at 265F
To be honest I don't remember if this picture came before or after baking because the beads look exactly the same.



After they cooled I put a dab of glue gun glue (or better yet Gorilla glue) on the end of the shower hook and pressed the end into the bead.



And put them aside for the glue to set completely.



Here they are on the inside of the shower curtain.





Mission accomplished!  They may look a little funny but the shower hooks do stay on the rod now!

Oh and did I mention....the Fimo only cost $4.00! And it's waterproof!



For our full Beach Bathroom Makeover check this out!
http://hotandcoldrunningmom.blogspot.ca/2018/02/beach-bathroom-makeover.html

2 comments:

  1. People should choose the right shower curtains according to the overall appearance of their bathrooms. Nowadays, the bathroom shower curtains also can be regarded as decoration because of the beautiful colors and attractive patterns. view website

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for informative & really needed a post about marketing.Get fabric Shower curtains without hooks at wholesale prices here! All curtains are constructed with a reinforced triple folded heading, one and three-eighths inches in width, reinforced with a strip of no tear buckram, with one-half inch sewn eyelets.

    ReplyDelete