I started this blog so my daughters could find all of our family favourite recipes in one place. It has actually grown into more than just the family favourites but also other recipes we've tried out in our kitchen. I don't like to fill up the post with alot of chatter. Sometimes there's a little story to tell, but usually I like to get right to the point. So this is for them, but hope you find some recipes that you like as well. I'll be sharing a lot of recipes, and along the way you'll find some crafty things and maybe some helpful hints too! Welcome!



Friday, December 29, 2017

December Birthday Cake

When your friend has a milestone December birthday, and she's a pro cake decorator but you're just trying your best...


1 - 2 layer devil's food cake

1 icing recipe that I got from this friend:
1  1/2 cups shortening
1/2 cup vegetable oil-based margarine
1 lb icing sugar
1/2 tsp each vanilla, almond and lemon extract
1/3 cup carnation evaporated milk or regular milk

Store bought (Ssshh!) cookies
sprinkles

1/3 cup chocolate ganache (optional)

Bake the cake in 2 - 8" round pans as directed on package and cool completely. I had time to freeze them to make it easier to frost.

Beat the icing ingredients together.

Set the bottom layer on a plate then spread a layer of ganache on if using. I had this leftover from my Tiramisu Yule Log.
You can find the recipe here:
http://hotandcoldrunningmom.blogspot.com/2017/12/tiramisu-yule-log.html



Set in fridge 5 minutes then add a layer of frosting. Top with second cake layer and spread a thin crumb coat of icing over all.


Finish up with  a nice smooth(ish) coat and top with sprinkles. If you want add M & M candies to decorate the cookies then smear some icing on the back of each cookie and place along the side of the cake.



I was worried that the cookies might get soft after being on the cake so I put them on only a couple of hours before serving. But they were still ok on the leftover cake 24 hours later!

It may not be the prettiest cake but it was made with love.

No comments:

Post a Comment