I started this blog so my daughters could find all of our family favourite recipes in one place. It has actually grown into more than just the family favourites but also other recipes we've tried out in our kitchen. I don't like to fill up the post with alot of chatter. Sometimes there's a little story to tell, but usually I like to get right to the point. So this is for them, but hope you find some recipes that you like as well. I'll be sharing a lot of recipes, and along the way you'll find some crafty things and maybe some helpful hints too! Welcome!



Tuesday, June 26, 2018

My Awesome First Tuna Steaks

That's right, I said it. Awesome!!
I've been wanting to try tuna steaks forever. Why did I wait so long?

Ingredients:

3 - 4 oz albacore tuna steaks, 1" thick

Marinade:
2 tbsps olive oil
1 tbsp lime juice
1 tbsp soya sauce
1 tsp tahini
1 tbsp fresh thyme
1/2 tsp lemon pepper

2 tbsp sesame seeds
fresh thyme and steamed fried noodles to garnish

Being a tuna newbie I didn't know that albacore is apparently not the best tuna for cooking, but after reading several recipes I chose to use these ingredients and if this isn't the best, I can't wait to try a better one!

Mix all the marinade ingredients together and spread over the top of the steaks. I love their pink colour!

Refrigerate 30 minutes.


After 30 minutes take each steak and coat the marinated side with sesame seeds. Place seed side up on a foil-lined baking sheet, no need to oil it.

Place in the oven to broil 6 inches below heat for 3 minutes then remove and carefully flip over. Spoon the remaining marinade on top and place back under the broiler.


Now because I have a husband who didn't want "raw" fish, I returned the tuna to the oven for 4-5 minutes. (While my sushi-lover wanted to eat them raw!!) You could try 3-4 minutes if you would prefer a little more rare in the middle. Then remove from oven, cover with a pot lid for 10 minutes before serving.




In this picture below the tuna appears to be a bit dry, but it was not. It was so tender and the flavour was delicious!



No comments:

Post a Comment