I started this blog so my daughters could find all of our family favourite recipes in one place. It has actually grown into more than just the family favourites but also other recipes we've tried out in our kitchen. I don't like to fill up the post with alot of chatter. Sometimes there's a little story to tell, but usually I like to get right to the point. So this is for them, but hope you find some recipes that you like as well. I'll be sharing a lot of recipes, and along the way you'll find some crafty things and maybe some helpful hints too! Welcome!



Wednesday, June 20, 2018

Healthy Miso Salad Dressing

This was my first experience with miso. After taking a nutritional cooking class where the instructor used it in this dressing I thought I'd try it. But when I went to buy miso I discovered there are several types. I chose to buy genmai for it's nutty flavour, and because I really didn't know what I was doing. 

Unbeknownst to me the lightest miso, shiro, is best for salad dressings and was excellent in class. And I mean excellent! I could've eaten the whole bowl meant for 15 people myself!

My genmai dressing was tasty too and the fam enjoyed it, but I think I will look for other recipes like soup and marinades to try it in and go buy some shiro the next time I make this dressing.


Ingredients:

3 tbsps lemon juice
2 tbsps tahini (good level of calcium and protein)
1 - 2 tsps maple syrup or honey
1 tbsp raspberry red wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar
1 tbsp miso paste (shiro miso - mild and best for dressings, protein and probiotic)
pinch of salt
seasonings and fresh herbs to taste
Fruit if you like



Whisk together and toss with greens. Let sit 10 or so minutes before serving.






I used leafy boston, spinach, a little iceberg and 1 large leaf of kale thinly sliced.  I have mint in my garden so I chopped 2 or 3 leaves and tossed them in too along with a little rosemary. Oh and a crisp apple!



Dressing enough for 6 servings

No comments:

Post a Comment