I started this blog so my daughters could find all of our family favourite recipes in one place. It has actually grown into more than just the family favourites but also other recipes we've tried out in our kitchen. I don't like to fill up the post with alot of chatter. Sometimes there's a little story to tell, but usually I like to get right to the point. So this is for them, but hope you find some recipes that you like as well. I'll be sharing a lot of recipes, and along the way you'll find some crafty things and maybe some helpful hints too! Welcome!



Thursday, May 31, 2018

Sunny Beet Salad

I lovelovelove the vibrant colours of these red and golden beets! Many of the beet salad recipes I have seen use an orange vinaigrette, but I saw the peach schnapps sitting there and thought...Why not?


1 lb small to medium sized beets
1/2 tsp salt (to salt the water)
1 green onion, sliced
1/2 small orange sweet pepper, cut in chunks
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp orange juice
1 tbsp peach schnapps 
(alternatively all OJ or all peach schnapps!)
1 tsp lime juice
1/4 tsp salt
a few grinds of black pepper
1/4 tsp dry mustard
pinch sugar

Start by bringing the beets to a boil in just enough salted water to cover. They can take anywhere from 30-60 minutes to cook. A fork should easily pierce them. Remove from heat, drain then cover with cold water.

Cut the green onion and sweet pepper. Set aside.

Combine the remaining ingredients for the dressing. I did half OJ/half peach schnapps.  Next time...full on peach schnapps! Now get back to the beets! 

Ok, so now that the beets have cooled enough to handle them drain and remove the peels. Wearing gloves saves having ugly red hands for the next few days.


Quarter the beets and add the green onion and sweet pepper, then toss with the dressing.


Sweet and earthy and next time I think I might just add a sliced peach to the bowl too.  What do you think?


No comments:

Post a Comment