I started this blog so my daughters could find all of our family favourite recipes in one place. It has actually grown into more than just the family favourites but also other recipes we've tried out in our kitchen. I don't like to fill up the post with alot of chatter. Sometimes there's a little story to tell, but usually I like to get right to the point. So this is for them, but hope you find some recipes that you like as well. I'll be sharing a lot of recipes, and along the way you'll find some crafty things and maybe some helpful hints too! Welcome!



Friday, March 10, 2017

Popcorn Bread

A light white bread with a hint of popcorn. Cool


4 cups popped popcorn
1 tsp salt
1 cup boiling water
1 cup cold milk
3/4 cup sugar
1/3 cup melted butter
1  1/2 tbsps yeast
6 cups white flour
1 cup whole wheat flour

Yield: 3 loaves

Take popcorn that has been popped and cooled (you can use leftover popcorn from the night before). Remove the duds.



Put it in the food processor and process until it looks like blown-in styrofoam insulation. Weird but it does.



Add salt to the popcorn and set aside.

Boil 1 cup of water, then add 1 cup of cold milk and sugar. Sprinkle the yeast on top and give it one swirl of the spoon. Let the yeast become active...it should take 10 minutes. I did this all in a measuring cup figuring it'd be ok. It almost wasn't. Next time I'll just start it in a large bowl.



So once the yeast is active (in a large bowl), add the processed popcorn, eggs and melted butter. Gradually incorporate the flours. I started adding flour in my KitchenAid but found the recipe too big for my mixer.

I continued adding flour and kneading on the counter. It doesn't look like it here but it does come together nicely. Place it in a greased bowl, cover with a tea towel and rise in a warm place until doubled, 45-60 minutes. Punch it down and rest 20 minutes.
Turn the dough out onto the counter and cut into 3 equal parts.


Shape into loaves and place into greased 9 X 5" loaf pans.
Cover and let rise until doubled again 30-45 minutes.


Bake in a 350F oven for 35 minutes until golden.


"Pop" them right out of the pans.





 I sliced one warm with dinner and sliced the other 2 and put them in the freezer for a day when there's no time to bake.


Adapted from http://www.food.com/amp/recipe/popcorn-bread-320976




No comments:

Post a Comment