I started this blog so my daughters could find all of our family favourite recipes in one place. It has actually grown into more than just the family favourites but also other recipes we've tried out in our kitchen. I don't like to fill up the post with alot of chatter. Sometimes there's a little story to tell, but usually I like to get right to the point. So this is for them, but hope you find some recipes that you like as well. I'll be sharing a lot of recipes, and along the way you'll find some crafty things and maybe some helpful hints too! Welcome!



Wednesday, November 2, 2016

Homemade Meat Marinara Sauce

Nothing like a good plate of pasta. 
I really think I was Italian in a previous life!


1/4 cup olive oil
2 small onions, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 lb ground trio (beef,pork,veal)
2 stalks celery, diced
1 whole carrot
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp dried basil
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/4 cup water
2 - 28 oz cans crushed tomatoes
2 - 3 oz tomato paste

1/4 cup red wine (optional)

Heat large skillet, add olive oil, onion and garlic. Cook over medium heat until onion is transluscent. Add the meat. I like the trio but you could use beef or any combination of the three. Brown and break apart the meat cooking until no pink is visible.

Add the celery and carrot. The whole carrot reduces the acidity of the tomatoes.

Now to the tomatoes. I usually would add 2 cans of crushed tomatoes or canned diced tomatoes. But I saw these San Marzano type tomatoes packed in purée. Nice!

I mashed the whole tomatoes with a potato masher and added them to the pot along with the tomato paste, salt, pepper, basil, oregano and water.

Bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer uncovered 1-2 hours or until carrot is soft. Add the red wine if using.

Enjoy it over your favourite pasta!



No comments:

Post a Comment