I started this blog so my daughters could find all of our family favourite recipes in one place. It has actually grown into more than just the family favourites but also other recipes we've tried out in our kitchen. I don't like to fill up the post with alot of chatter. Sometimes there's a little story to tell, but usually I like to get right to the point. So this is for them, but hope you find some recipes that you like as well. I'll be sharing a lot of recipes, and along the way you'll find some crafty things and maybe some helpful hints too! Welcome!



Thursday, August 11, 2016

Stuffed Peppers and Pumpkin Flowers

While making a little filling for my peppers I needed some herbs. When I went to get the basil I spied the pumpkin flowers. So I thought why not....so here's my very first attempt at stuffed flowers. 

First of all, be very sure you aren't bringing any unwanted hitchhikers into the kitchen. One of my flowers actually had a wasp sitting inside! Once I got rid of him I put the flowers in a plastic bag a blew some air in it so the flowers would keep from wilting before I got to them. 

So here's the filling:

1 lb ground beef
375 g sausage meat (I used a sweet basil flavour)
3 red peppers, halved
3 pumpkin flowers
2 green onions, sliced
1/2 cup corn niblets
some finely chopped zucchini (1-2 tbsps)
some chopped basil, mint, coriander (about 1 tsp each)
1 tbsp tomato paste

Brown the beef and sausage lightly in a large saucepan and remove from heat.

Drop pepper halves in a pot of boiling water for 1 minute then remove to an oiled baking dish.

Mix the cooked meat with green onions, corn, zucchini, herbs and tomato paste. Fill the peppers and the flowers taking care not to tear the flowers.

Give the petals a twist to keep the flower closed.

Bake in a 400 F oven for 20 minutes. Remove the flowers and continue baking another 10-15 minutes for the peppers.


I drizzled some Sriraccha mayo on the peppers that I had leftover from this teriyaki salmon skewers recipe.
http://hotandcoldrunningmom.blogspot.ca/2016/08/teriyaki-salmon-skewers-with-sriraccha.html


Just mix 1/4 cup mayo with 1 tsp sriraccha sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment