I started this blog so my daughters could find all of our family favourite recipes in one place. It has actually grown into more than just the family favourites but also other recipes we've tried out in our kitchen. I don't like to fill up the post with alot of chatter. Sometimes there's a little story to tell, but usually I like to get right to the point. So this is for them, but hope you find some recipes that you like as well. I'll be sharing a lot of recipes, and along the way you'll find some crafty things and maybe some helpful hints too! Welcome!



Friday, July 8, 2016

Turn Tough Beef to Tender

Ok, so here's the thing, we had these 2 - 1 lb pieces of outside round steak and I thought, just marinate them and they'll be good on the BBQ.

No.


Tough and chewy as an old shoe. We managed to get through 1 for supper but did not enjoy it one bit!

But at the price of meat I was not going to waste this steak.

So I put the leftover piece in the slow cooker and mixed this up:

1/2 can of Coke
1/4 cup ketchup
2 tbsps brown sugar
1 tbsp lime juice
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tsp fresh minced ginger
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes

I poured this mixture over the meat and turned the slow cooker on high for 20 minutes. I reduced the heat to low and let it go for 3 hours.

After 3 hours I cut it thinly against the grain and put it back into the sauce for an additional hour on high.

I've got to say, pretty impressed with this. Not only did it come out waaaaayyy more tender but the taste had a good kick to it.

Served straight up or piled on a bun, this is a keeper!


And for the Roasted Carrots and Parsnip check out...
http://hotandcoldrunningmom.blogspot.ca/2016/07/roasted-carrots-and-parsnip.html





No comments:

Post a Comment