I started this blog so my daughters could find all of our family favourite recipes in one place. It has actually grown into more than just the family favourites but also other recipes we've tried out in our kitchen. I don't like to fill up the post with alot of chatter. Sometimes there's a little story to tell, but usually I like to get right to the point. So this is for them, but hope you find some recipes that you like as well. I'll be sharing a lot of recipes, and along the way you'll find some crafty things and maybe some helpful hints too! Welcome!



Friday, August 28, 2015

Layered Vegetable and Beef Bake

You can prepare this ahead of time and when you finally get home from your busy day just sit back, put your feet up and have a nice glass of wine while it bakes in the oven.

Sit back and put your feet up?  Well I can dream can't I  : )

1 lb ground beef
1/2 cup onion, chopped
3 cups tomato sauce, divided
1 medium zucchini, sliced
1 or 2 tomatoes, sliced
a few onion slices
handful of basil leaves (I used some nasturtium leaves too)
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 - 1/2 cup shredded cheese, whatever kind you like
parmesan
thyme

Brown beef and chopped onion in a frying pan, spooning out any excess fat. Add 1  1/2 cups of the tomato sauce and stir together.

Spray an 8 X 11 inch baking dish and spread the meat mixture on the bottom.

Next layer the sliced vegetables, overlapping as you go, on top of the beef. I wanted my veggies to have a little snap left in them when cooked so the slices were about 1/4 inch thick. Slice them thinly if you want them to be soft.

Top with chopped basil (and/or nasturtium) leaves and the minced garlic.

Spoon the remaining 1  1/2 cups tomato sauce on top, then cover with your favourite shredded cheese.  Sprinkle some parmesan and thyme on top. Cover with foil.

Bake in a 375 F oven for 45-50 minutes.
Uncover for last 10 minutes.

Well, I don't know if you had time to put your feet up, but at least there's only one casserole dish to wash!

No comments:

Post a Comment