I started this blog so my daughters could find all of our family favourite recipes in one place. It has actually grown into more than just the family favourites but also other recipes we've tried out in our kitchen. I don't like to fill up the post with alot of chatter. Sometimes there's a little story to tell, but usually I like to get right to the point. So this is for them, but hope you find some recipes that you like as well. I'll be sharing a lot of recipes, and along the way you'll find some crafty things and maybe some helpful hints too! Welcome!



Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Montreal Hot Dog Coleslaw

I don't think there is anywhere else where you can get a hot dog quite like the ones in Montreal. "Steamies" are the best!

Belle Pro, Decarie or Lafleur, but my personal favourite is "Chez Ma Tante" in the north end.
You can't beat it. 

I wanted to re-create it at home, steam the dogs and the buns, but the sticking point was the cabbage topping. It's NOT sauerkraut! And I had always thought it was just plain cabbage, made soggy in hot water or something weird like that.  I tried it.....it's definitely not that!

I tried this recipe and it's pretty good, just might be a keeper.

4 cups shredded cabbage (or bagged coleslaw mix)
1/4 cup finely chopped onion
1/4 cup finely chopped celery

1 tbsp sugar
1/8 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp salt
3 tbsps vegetable oil
1/4 cup vinegar

Mix the dressing together with the vegetables and refrigerate at least 2 hours. Then top your hot dog with it.
All-dressed please!

Hope you like it and if you don't, well it's always good as coleslaw : )

2 comments:

  1. Looks excellent have to try it. I’m from Ontario and when I’m in MTL I go to Lafleurs or Be Pro and the all dressed is the best ! Have to try your recipe thanks for the post :)

    ReplyDelete