I started this blog so my daughters could find all of our family favourite recipes in one place. It has actually grown into more than just the family favourites but also other recipes we've tried out in our kitchen. I don't like to fill up the post with alot of chatter. Sometimes there's a little story to tell, but usually I like to get right to the point. So this is for them, but hope you find some recipes that you like as well. I'll be sharing a lot of recipes, and along the way you'll find some crafty things and maybe some helpful hints too! Welcome!



Sunday, June 28, 2015

Braised Whole Duck Mirepoix

Mirepoix....my new word.  I have used chopped veggies as a base for flavour many times, just didn't know what it was called until now.  So here's my Braised Whole Duck Mirepoix that I made last week for Father's Day. It was a real hit !

Ingredients:

1 - 3 lb duck

Mirepoix:

2 tbsps olive oil
2 onions, diced
2 carrots, diced
4 garlic buds, chopped
1/2 cup red wine
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
2 cups chicken stock

Bouquet garni (sort of) :

1 cinnamon stick
1 tsp coriander seeds
1 tsp saffron
1/2 lime
cheesecloth and string

1 tsp powdered ginger
1 tsp celery seed

Start by dicing the vegetables for the mirepoix and set aside. It traditionally uses celery, but I chose to use celery seed later in the recipe instead. 

Cut a square of cheesecloth or use a coffee filter and add the ingredients for the bouquet garni.  I know it's not the usual ingredients for a bouquet garni, but the other name I thought of sounded funny....little pouch of flavour. Anyways, tie it all up with string and set aside.

Let's go.  Heat the olive oil in a pan, medium heat, and lightly brown the duck on all sides, about 5 minutes. Remove to a plate.

To the same pan add the mirepoix, raise the heat to medium high, and brown 5 minutes.

Add the red wine (I used cabernet sauvignon) and the balsamic.  Scrape the brown bits off the pan and simmer until reduced to a syrup, another 5 minutes or so.
Add the chicken stock and place the duck on top. Turn it over to coat, leave it breast-side up and sprinkle with ginger and celery seed. Tuck the bouquet garni in the pan, cover and simmer 1  1/2 hours.

Remove the duck to a roasting pan. I know...not very pretty.

Strain the juices and reduce in a saucepan.

This will take 20 minutes.
Brush the duck with the reduction and roast in a 400F oven for 10 minutes.  Cool 5-10 minutes before slicing into this beautiful dark duck.





No comments:

Post a Comment