I started this blog so my daughters could find all of our family favourite recipes in one place. It has actually grown into more than just the family favourites but also other recipes we've tried out in our kitchen. I don't like to fill up the post with alot of chatter. Sometimes there's a little story to tell, but usually I like to get right to the point. So this is for them, but hope you find some recipes that you like as well. I'll be sharing a lot of recipes, and along the way you'll find some crafty things and maybe some helpful hints too! Welcome!



Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Pickled Mushrooms

If you like pickled mushrooms you'll probably like these. 
I don't like them but my husband tells me they're great.

1/4 cup lemon juice
2 cups water
3 cups mushrooms, small, halved or quartered
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup vinegar
1/4 tsp dried oregano
1/4 tsp dried basil
1-2 bay leaves
2 garlic cloves
3/4 cup canola oil

Combine lemon juice and water in a large saucepan.
Add mushrooms and salt and bring to a boil.

Simmer 5 minutes.
Drain and pour vinegar over.  Cover and let stand 5-6 hours.

Drain mushrooms and pack in sterilized jars.  I sterilize them by pouring boiling water in the jars and lids.  The knife prevents the jar from cracking from the heat.

Put bay leaves, oregano, basil and garlic buds in jar and cover with canola oil.  Keep in fridge.

If you want to store them on the shelf, process jars in a boiling water bath for 20 minutes.

This recipe makes 1 pint but it can be doubled.
When I tripled it (9 cups mushrooms) I filled 1 quart jar.

No comments:

Post a Comment