I started this blog so my daughters could find all of our family favourite recipes in one place. It has actually grown into more than just the family favourites but also other recipes we've tried out in our kitchen. I don't like to fill up the post with alot of chatter. Sometimes there's a little story to tell, but usually I like to get right to the point. So this is for them, but hope you find some recipes that you like as well. I'll be sharing a lot of recipes, and along the way you'll find some crafty things and maybe some helpful hints too! Welcome!



Thursday, May 15, 2014

Easiest Apple Cake in the World

I've seen this one all over the place and finally tried it.  If you need a dessert for a gang in a hurry, this is it!

All you need is:

1-430g box (approx. 15 oz) angel food cake
1 - 19-22 oz can apple pie filling
Really, that's it !!

Dump the cake mix in a bowl and mix with the pie filling. It'll foam up so use a large bowl.  Spread the cake batter in a 13 X 9 inch pan. Do NOT grease!
Bake at 350 F for 35-45 minutes.
Wow, isn't it a beauty?  When you serve it sprinkle icing sugar over top (shake it through a strainer). I think this is my new favourite cake.  Can't wait to try it using different pie fillings.

Nov. 2014 - update:

My friend told me she had tried the apple cake and it didn't work.  I was really surprised and told her I'd look into what the problem could be.

So I came home from our lunch together and made this cake.

I tried using raspberry pie filling this time and the taste was fantastic!
But it didn't rise like the apple cake had.  Hmm...what's THAT about??

First off, the expiry date on the cake box was good.


Then I thought maybe the time of year would affect how the cake had risen.  I had only made it in the summer before as opposed to fall/winter.
But upon further investigation I discovered that you NEVER grease the baking dish when making angel food cake!!
I believe the mystery is solved  : )

No comments:

Post a Comment