I started this blog so my daughters could find all of our family favourite recipes in one place. It has actually grown into more than just the family favourites but also other recipes we've tried out in our kitchen. I don't like to fill up the post with alot of chatter. Sometimes there's a little story to tell, but usually I like to get right to the point. So this is for them, but hope you find some recipes that you like as well. I'll be sharing a lot of recipes, and along the way you'll find some crafty things and maybe some helpful hints too! Welcome!



Friday, May 9, 2014

Date Squares (Matrimonial Cake)

Date squares have been a favourite of both my husband's family and mine for many years.    I knew that they have also in the past been referred to as Matrimonial Cake, but just recently found some history on that name.

Know as Matrimonial Cake in some parts of western Canada, the wedding-related names given to the dessert made up of both smooth and rough textures are said to reflect the contrast between the easy and difficult times of marriage.

Having past our 34th wedding anniversary I like (and understand) the description of the Matrimonial Cake.
Hope you like these bars, a recipe from my tattered old Five Roses Flour cookbook.

Filling:

1 lb pitted dates, chopped
1/2 cup hot water
1/4 cup orange juice
1/4  cup brown sugar
1 tsp lemon juice
zest of 1/2 orange
1 tsp vanilla

1  1/2 cups flour
1  1/2 cups rolled oats
1 cup brown sugar
1/8 tsp salt
1 cup butter or margarine

Prepare filling.  Combine dates, hot water, orange juice, brown sugar, lemon juice and zest in a saucepan.  Cook over medium heat until dates are soft and water is absorbed. Remove from heat and add vanilla. Let cool.

Meanwhile prepare the crumble.  Combine dry ingredients together in a bowl.  Work butter in with 2 knives or better yet a pastry blender until crumbly.  

Spread half the mixture in bottom of a greased 9" square pan and pat down firmly.  Cover with date filling.  Pat down remaining mixture on top. 

Bake at 375 F for 30 minutes.
Cool in pan and cut into squares.

I always double this one!  Freezes well too.












2 comments:

  1. I used to make this recipe from the 70's version cookbook and made it often growing up. This recipe is definitely different. Or maybe I modified it, I'm not sure. Thank you so much for posting it, as my mother can't find the book any longer. We just happened to be talking about the recipe 2 days ago but I couldn't remember where it was from. She said it was a Five Roses recipe and told me to Google it which led me to your recipe. I did add more topping (about 2 cups more) and just took it out of the oven. Can't wait to see if it's the same taste I remember.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jules and thank you for your comment. I'm never sure if readers can find my recipes so glad to hear Google brought this one up for you. Please let me know how they turned out and if they are as you remember.

    ReplyDelete